We humans have a need for some ritual and ceremony to mark important stages in our lives, and for thirty years or so, humanist celebrants have been helping families whose lives don’t involve religion to organise funerals, baby-naming, partnership and wedding ceremonies which are meaningful to them.
Celebrants who have trained with Humanists UK, and are accredited by them, follow established guidelines and work to an agreed standard. They always visit their clients and together with them create a ceremony which is personal, dignified and relevant to them.
A few practicalities:
- Humanist ceremonies can take place anywhere.
- Funerals can be arranged by phoning a celebrant directly or by telling the Funeral Director you would like a humanist funeral.
- Humanist weddings have not up to now been legally binding, but after successful campaigning by Humanists UK, it is hoped that the situation may change soon.
- For all ceremonies there will be a preliminary meeting between the celebrant and the client(s), to share ideas and begin to shape the ceremony. After that meeting, the celebrant writes a script for the day, which can then be amended.
- Celebrants accredited by Humanists UK charge a fee which is within the range approved by Humanists UK, to whom they pay a levy.
- Contact details are on the `Find a Celebrant’ section of the Humanists UK website.
These are local celebrants accredited by Humanists UK – click on the link to email them directly, or contact us:
Roger Dugan 07792 468470 [funerals]
Sue Falder 01952 604189 or 07791 365046 [funerals]
John Leaman 07771 513683 [funerals]
Simon Nightingale 07970 479 185 [funerals]
Jackie Taylor 0791 4535906 [funerals]
Katy Vigurs 07905 403729 [funerals]
Humanists UK publishes three booklets which are helpful for those thinking about a non-religious ceremony: Funerals Without God, Sharing the Future and New Arrivals. They all contain suggestions for wording and whole ceremonies to give you some ideas and can be obtained from the Humanists UK website or by telephoning 020 7324 3069.
If you are thinking of becoming a celebrant, contact us or Humanists UK.