Humanists UK are running the MOOC (Massive Open Online Course), which was a huge success earlier this year, for a second time. If you missed the first course, we highly recommend that you enrol onto this course – it is free and many of our members have commented on how informative and enjoyable they found the course. Please see the below information and link for more details.
Learn about humanism – a non-religious, ethical worldview shared by millions across the world.
Humanism is a non-religious, ethical world view shared by millions of people around the world. Humanists believe that this life is the only life we have, that the universe is a natural phenomenon with no supernatural side, and that we can live ethical and fulfilling lives on the basis of reason and humanity.
However, there is widespread misunderstanding about what it means to be a humanist or to live a life without a religion. On this course you will learn more about humanist beliefs and values, and discover how humanists attempt to answer life’s big questions.
- The humanist understanding of human beings: our nature, capacities, and responsibilities
- How humanists answer questions about the world (science, reason, scepticism) and the consequences for a humanist understanding of reality
- A humanist approach to making life meaningful and the value of individual freedom
- The origins and evolution of morality and a humanist perspective on how to be good
- The humanist vision for society (secularism, freedoms, and human rights) and the motivations behind their goals
- Different definitions of humanism, its history, and its diversity